Physical inactivity is a fast-growing public health problem in Singapore and contributes to a variety of chronic diseases and health complications, including obesity, diabetes and cancer. In addition to improving a patient’s overall health, increasing physical activity has proven effective in the treatment and prevention of chronic diseases
Regular physical activity at the correct intensity:
- Significantly improves overall health
- Reduces the risk of heart disease by 40%
- Lowers the risk of stroke by 27%
- Reduces the incidence of high blood pressure, by almost 50%
- Reduces the incidence of diabetes by almost 50%.
- Can reduce mortality and the risk of recurrent breast cancer by almost 50%
- Can lower the risk of colon cancer by over 60%
- Can reduce the risk of developing of Alzheimer’s disease by one-third
- Can decrease depression as effectively as medications or behavioral therapy
Exercise is indeed Medicine!